Tuesday, May 21, 2013

FWQ 11

Finished up this block last week. I like it a lot. I particularly like the gradation of the neutrals.

It came from my wanting to use bits of linen, but not actually having quite enough. In fact, from the original linen pieces I could only have cut 5 or 6 of the necessary pieces. I like things to be orderly though (most of the time), so I decided to cut 4 pieces from each of 4 different neutral solids/near solids.
I think this block would make a really cool quilt. Maybe I'd make the pieces slightly bigger so I wouldn't need so many of them to get a decent size. Hmm...
The seams started to get bulky at the end, but not too terrible.
One hundred blocks to go. :)

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Grinchmas in May

Yesterday I made a map of the Grinch quilt layout. I don't want to have square blocks - they'll wind up being triangles and trapezoids instead.
I meant to take my bolt of muslin along to the Mad Mod sew day, but forgot it at home... Good thing I took along the last 7 medium star blocks to finish up or I wouldn't have actually been able to sew anything (without buying something new).
I'm slowly stitching away on this project - only have the little ones left:
Poll: Is it worth it to get Flickr Pro? I've apparently reached the storage limit and old stuff will not be available if I keep uploading new. I'm there are other perks as well, but I hate to wind up paying for it year after year. I might try weeding out some of the pictures I have uploaded first and see how it goes.

Purr from Moose. (I'm glad he doesn't try to get right on my lap/keyboard.)

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Up and at 'em

I'm not usually up at this hour on a Sunday, but we've got a foster cat for the summer who apparently is a morning cat. He's alternately playful and staring out the window from which he last saw his real owner.

He also keeps walking across my lap, fortunately not on the keyboard (yet).

In sewing news, I purchased a real free motion foot for my sewing machine. I tried it out last night to mediocre results. I'll need more practice, but it's not terribly fun to rip out stitches. I am starting on a smallish practice sort of project, however I still want it to look good when I finish. Dilemma.

I got the top to look alright, but the back still had some issues. It'd be nice to have stitch lengths be a little more uniform too...